You probably consider ants and spiders as unwelcome guests if you find these pests inside your home. Maybe these cool facts and fun coloring pages will help ease the “ick” factor next time you see one.
We think you’ll agree that ants are pretty cool. Here’s some things you should know:
- Ants can carry 10 – 50 times their body weight.
- If you see an ant carrying a crumb, it is likely bringing it to its colony to eat.
- Ant colonies have many tunnels and several rooms.
- Ants are found on every continent except Antarctica.
- There are more than 12,000 ant species worldwide
So many people are afraid of them, but here are some neat things to know about the misunderstood spider:
- Spiders are arachnids — not insects — because they have 8 legs.
- Spiders stand out from other arachnids (scorpions and ticks, for example) because of their ability to produce silk.
- Spiders are found everywhere in the world except Antarctica.
- Spiders’ webs are not just for catching food. Some species line the inside of their home with their web. Female spiders use the web to make a cocoon and protect their eggs.
- As soon as they hatch, baby spiders are able to catch food on their own, with no help from their mother.